This is the third cup of Ice Scramble I have had this week. This would have been incredibly banal, except for the fact that this is three more than the ice scramble I have had within the last five years-combined. It seems to me that Ice Scramble is making a come back. There are things which seem to be very trendy this year. I am writing this down so that I do not forget it.
- Ice Scramble. Most every train station has an ice scramble stand. Most malls that I go to has at least 3 ice scramble stands. Shopwise Cubao has 2 ice scramble stands. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that ice scramble is a fad this year. Ice scramble is made of pink crushed ice with evaporated milk. It is nothing spectacular but it is very cheap making it popular for those who want to quench their sweet tooth’s.
- Potato Curly-cues. Potato curlycues is a piece of potato on a stick. It is cut in such a way that it looks like a spiral staircase cued horizontally. Obviously, it is made of potatoes. On very rare occasions, children who have finished eating their potato curly-cues use the stick to stab other people making it an ideal snack for these kids. My sister said that these curly-cues are very popular among those who go out on dates.
- Fashion Blogging. It also seems that a lot of people have transformed into fashion bloggers these days. Anyone with a camera and access to the internet takes their shot to be a fashion blogger. Some of them are really creative and sophisticated. A lot of them, however, give fashion-blogging a bad name. There are those who I really like to read because of their fashion sensibilities. (My sister and I agree on a certain fashion blogger whose posts we really anticipate. Who is she? We occasionally comment on her blog, heehee. If there is a fashion blogger I would like to see a fashion line of she would definitely be top of mind.) There are others who leave so much to be desired when it comes to fashion blogging. Sometimes, I think that just because they have lookbook.nu, they immediately assume they are fashionable.
- Chillwave. Chillwave is a music genre characterized by effects and synthesizers. Many from the indie crowd seem to like the genre this year. I have a community which I go to for music, this community shows a heightened interaction and discussion when the featured artist is from the chillwave genre. Toro Y Moi, Memory Tapes and Neon Indian are but some of the most popular chillwave artists.
- Hospitality Arts. Despite the current threats to Philippine tourism (threats which include the hostage crisis and tourism bans) it seems that hospitality schools are sprouting left and right. Before I started working for ASHA and The Cravings Group, there are but a few schools offering hospitality arts or hotel and restaurant operations. Now, there are more than 30 trade schools offering a similar program. (This does not include the 5 ASHA branches and ASHA-Summit Ridge Tagaytay) The program for hospitality and restaurant operations include housekeeping, barista, bartending, hotel management and hotel bookkeeping.
N misses the old-school ice scramble vendors wherein the manong ice scramble vendor has an ice mixer that he uses to mix the ice scramble by hand.